Monday, August 25, 2008

Wisteria Lane = my neighborhood?

I think my neighborhood is turning into Wisteria Lane.

We have quite a few Lynette Scavos (the strong-willed, full-time working, Alpha moms).

We have a Gabrielle Solis (the fashionista, diva-type).

We have a Susan Mayer (the down-to-earth, cutsie single mom).

While there is no one who is fully a Bree Van De Camp Hodge, we all have a little Bree in all of us  (the ultra-proper, Martha-Stewart-esque, uber mom who on the surface is put together but under the covers is a complete, hot mess).

And we even have an Edie Britt (the single, bitchy, watch-your-husband-or-she-might-try-to-bang-him type...)

Our neighborhood's tendencies to be Wisteria Lane-like has been even more pronounced by a lot of recent drama that has taken place in the lives of the women who live here.  And drama, it is... 

With drama and very public knowledge of your neighbors' goings-on comes the gossip and unfair carousing and side-taking.

And I don't want any part of it.

But I find myself getting sucked in.  

Why?  Because I have grown to actually like some of these people (well, maybe not the Edie-type).   A few of them I consider to be good friends vs. only acquaintances.  And I care about them.

But some of the drama is making me sick...and sad.

Is this the inevitable nature of white-collar-class American suburbia?  Or is it just my 'hood?

(i will probably regret even writing this in the morning...but in the true spirit of blogging - which is journaling, really - i am writing this as a cathartic measure so i can vent and get it all out...i refuse for my voice to be dictated by who may or may not see it...Or, am I just plain stupid?!)

1 comment:

Polly said...

ooo none of that in our neighbourhood, its strictly keep yourself to yourself. I think I need some Wisteria lane excitement!