Thursday, August 28, 2008

I am moved

I totally connected with Barack Obama tonight.

His speech almost moved me to tears and gave me hope that this country can be great(er) again. He was inspirational. He was larger-than-life. He was presidential. A true leader who wins hearts and minds. Someone this country so desperately needs right now.

And you know what? I don't care that he's a junior senator who has not been seasoned (read: infected) in the ways of Washington.

I actually like that he's idealistic and not schooled in the old guard M.O. I believe in his platform for change. Is McCain saying these things? All he can say is that Obama lacks the experience and the track record (temperament and judgment)...what's his case for change? I find it amusing and laughable that the GOP even bothers to waste their critiques over his acceptance speech venue dubbing it the "temple of Obama" with it's pillars and grand stage. Again, here goes the GOP making small issues out of big elections. What else ya got, McCain?

I will say this: The Republicans rightfully critiqued that his speech rhetoric does not fully contemplate the realities of funding his platform specifics to drive change. And I am curious to hear over the coming weeks and through the debates how exactly he plans to bankroll some of his aspirational (but not insurmountable) promises such as affordable education and health care for all, without increasing taxes. (And of course, those taxes will probably be assessed on people like me.)

And will he be able to execute on every tactic in his change platform? Probably not...let's remember that the Congress has its role to play in terms of policy-making - checks and balances was instituted for a reason. Our Founding Fathers were smart that way. But, I do believe that Obama will try his damnedest to uphold his promises, because I know that he believes we will hold him accountable.

Nonetheless, his idealism, optimism and his potential to drive true change is there and it is palpable.

And I so, so feel it, like I've never felt with any Democratic candidate I've supported before. Maybe it's because this is the first election where I am a parent and I am moved by such issues that affect more than just my generation? Regardless, I think many Americans who watched tonight felt the energy and the stirring too. And like me, many probably also feel that there is a light at the end of this long, dark tunnel we've been traveling through for 8 years.

And yes, while potential is no match for true experience (which is the retort of the McCain camp) what we do know is that when you put a damn smart leader with great potential who is hungry in a BIG job, they often rise to the occasion...just as Barack Obama has demonstrated time and again.

And that is the track record that I am using as my benchmark. It may be naive, but I believe.

Tonight Obama was "epic, yet accessible." And as David Gergen stated, his wasn't so much "a speech but a symphony." A masterpiece. And he had me at hello.

Forget my post from 2 days ago (I'm over the Hillary thing, even though I loved her speech too...), I am a proud supporter of the Obama-Biden ticket.

God bless him.


3 comments:

Polly said...

Even we in Australia hold great hope for Obama

CRigg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CRigg said...

Yes, we need to elect him...the world is watching. And re-election of a Republican president (especially to the outside world) indicates a ringing endorsement of the policies and activities of the last 8 years, even though there is a large population of us on the fringes (literally, if you look at the map of the blue states) who is mad as hell.