Thursday, June 5, 2008

Channeling Charlanda (Charlotte & Miranda)

Like most women in America these days, I will be attending a Sex and the City happy hour and theater viewing with about 20 fun women this weekend. Many of these women are very similar to me...30-something, mostly work-outside-the-home moms, living in San Diego suburbia, trying to balance it all, and also trying to retain a sense of their former selves.

We're supposed to dress like the SATC character most like us.

So that got me thinking.

And I think I'll dress up like Charlanda.

(That would be the Charlotte York and Miranda Hobbes hybrid.)

As I recall from SATC, Charlotte was the feminine and proper, Park Avenue-bred, liberal-arts major from an Ivy who was almost Bree-like (from Desperate Housewives) in terms of her domain expertise on all things Miss Manners and etiquette and planning. But she also had a little crazy streak in her, while still putting on an innocent and proper facade. Charlotte was idealistic and believed in true love. And like many women, she had a crystal-clear vision for herself in terms of who should thought she would be - and that was to be married and to have kids. But the reality didn't always meet the fantasy, yet she was always the optimist.

Then there was Miranda. She was the tough, straight-shooting, down-to-earth, cynical attorney
who was self-assured and proud of her achievements, yet still vulnerable enough that it showed in her self-deprecating humor. She raised the bar for herself continually, be it in her professional or personal life. And ironically enough, she ended up marrying her unlikely match - a guy who did not totally equal her in terms of ambition and focus, but who was her strength and support. Oh, and she's also a mom trying to balance her career with the trials and tribulations of parenting a toddler.

Then of course there's Carrie and Samantha. Both so NOT me. (Although, I am an aspiring Carrie in terms of style-sense...but who isn't?!)

So what does a Charlanda look like?

I'll let you know what I come up with for my get-up this weekend.

(Thanks to my hubby for yet another hall pass this week! I love you, honey.)

1 comment:

just jamie said...

Hope to see pictures of what you come up with. SO glad you're blogging (again). Looking forward to sharing more of the twin insanity ride with you...