Saturday, June 7, 2008

Broccoli

Last Monday night, Dave and I went to our parenting class (which is a totally different post alltogether) so we had Alejandra, our old nanny of two years, watch the kids. When we came back that night, Alejandra told me that Luke ate a whole plate of broccoli for dinner, among other things.

My jaw dropped.

Now let me tell you something about Luke. Like many toddlers and preschoolers (or kids for that matter!) Luke is a carbo-loader by nature. If it's got any form of carbohydrates (especially bread product) in it, he will eat it. He has a natural aversion to anything that does not take a bread-like form. (Although he does like chicken and fish too, thank goodness). But if it's veggies or even remotely non-grain-like in texture, he won't even try it. Even if I entice him with a treat afterward, he shakes his head vigorously. Veggies = "No can do mommy."

So imagine my surprise when I heard that he had a whole plate of broccoli...from someone other than his mommy no less. What gives?!

Once I got over the fact that he agreed to eat veggies from someone other than me or Dave, (after months, years of trying to feed him such nutrients), I thought I would check it out myself.

Sure enough, twice this past week he ate broccoli. And gladly, I gave him his two mini oatmeal cookies as a dessert treat.

Alejandra is coming over again tonight to watch the kids. I think I'll ask her to try spinach and carrots.


1 comment:

just jamie said...

Isn't it funny how this game works?

Chase and Luke should get together and be carb-buddies. I always tell Chase he's going to turn into a muffin.

Good to know that if we keep trying, it just might work.