Thursday, June 5, 2008

Maybe this time I'll succeed...

This is at least my 5th time starting a blog. And I gave up on each one because life gets in the way. My twin preschoolers, my career, my husband, my involvement with extracurriculars, my girlfriend-time, my me-time...   My crazy, chaotic, full life.  Just like I always planned it.  

And like any good Catholic, I feel guilty.  Guilty because after 3.5 years of the kids' existence, there are no baby books chronicling their every milestone, no journals, no Flickr sites with their photos plastered all over the pages.  Just a computer with thousands of unorganized, digitized images, a Facebook account with a few scattered photo albums and their occasional photo as my image profile, and the beginnings of a scrapbook I pulled together when I was pregnant.  And I only got through scrapbooking my 6th month of pregnancy in my scrapbook.  That was almost 4 years ago.  Because life got in the way.

But then I realized, this IS my life and I want to remember it.  I need to remember it. And I want my kids to know who their mom is.  And I don't want them to be in their teens asking me what it was like when they were babies.  Or what I was like when they were babies.  What better way to experience it than to read about our life together as a family and my experience in raising them during this wonderful, insane time in our lives?!  And maybe they will even like me - not as their mom, but as a person.

So I vow to Hannah and Luke that this blog is my love letter to you.  This is your mom at 36 years old - warts and all.  

1 comment:

just jamie said...

Oh Clarissa, I entirely agree. Blogging has become for me, among other things, a place to show the kids *who* their Mom was in the day-to-day happenings of life at home with them.

So glad you're on board. Our kids may not LOVE it later ... but at some point, I imagine they'll come to appreciate the efforts.