Thursday, June 5, 2008

Future Blue Devil

We went to an ACC alumni event this weekend in San Diego.  For you non-east coasters, that's the athletically powerful Atlantic Coast Conference.  There were all kinds of ACCers represented - the Cavaliers, the Demon Deacons, and even those rascal Tar Heels (they had, by far, the biggest showing).  I must admit, however, that I was quite disappointed in the Blue Devil faithful.  Perhaps there aren't a lot of us Dukies in San Diego County or are we just apathetic?

And we ate good old BBQ, flown all the way from the South. A traditional pig-pickin' as the southerners call it.   Just like I remember it.   And dayum, was it GOOD!  

So, during the course of the day in talking up the event to Hannah and Luke, there were more mentions of Duke to them than they've probably ever heard me utter in their entire 3 1/2 years.  
"What's Duke, mommy?"

"It was my school, a long, long time ago"

"Did you make art?"

"Yes, and other things too."

"Is it a boarding school?"

"It's kind of like a boarding school, but not really."

"Were there trolls there, mommy?" (Background: kids watched the first Harry Potter movie months ago and now they think that all "boarding schools" have trolls and three-headed dogs.  BAD idea.)

"Do gargoyles count?" (I said this thinking of the stone gargoyles that happily decorated the corners of some of the quadrangles on Duke's West Campus.)

"Huh???  What's a g-g-...  Well, mommy, are there castles there?"

"Castles? Um, yes, Hannah."  (thinking of the Duke Chapel at the center of campus)

"Oooh, just like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty."

"Yes, Hannah.  Just like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty and the other princesses."

"When I grow up, I want to go to Duke."

And just like that, I have an aspiring Blue Devil.  

My grand master plan is working.  Hehehehe.  Much to Dave's chagrin.

Got any ideas for how to work on Luke?


No comments: