Thursday, June 5, 2008

Bribery and The Poopy Cake

Ah, the art and science of the #2.  Yes, that #2.  

The science of it all is quite simple, really - from the ever-popular words of Taro Gomi's beloved potty-training book Everyone Poops, "All living things eat, so...everyone poops."

But it's the art that's more interesting.  Especially for Hannah, my 3 1/2 year old who has still not mastered the art of the poop.

In fact, she claims that she is afraid of it.  Why?  I have no clue.

After almost a year of being potty trained, she still won't do it.  Even with all of Luke's gloating when he takes his daily dump, her typical competitive spirit won't budge when it comes to poop.

I saw my cousin in the Bay Area recently and vented to her about my potty training issues with Hannah.  

"Oh, you've got it all wrong."

"What do you mean?"

"Incentives, Clarissa.  Try this."  (gesturing to a piece of colored construction paper posted on her son's bathroom wall with a hand-drawn cake with candles and scribbled-in stars atop a few of the candles)

"What's this?"

"A poopy cake.  Every time she poops, put a star on one of the candles of the cake.  After 10 stars, tell her you'll take her to Target where she can pick out a small toy.  Once I did this, he was pooping like, 2 times a day!" 

"Really?  Isn't this just a form of bribery?"

"Yes, but it works.  Try it.  I guarantee you'll get results."

I obviously haven't caught on to the practice of bribery.  And this obviously is not a new idea. But better late than never. 

So I ended up creating this.

As I write this post, I am interrupted ironically, by Luke, who claims needing help with the potty.

(10 minutes pass)

I just drew another star on Luke's poopy cake and defeatedly, I just threw another dirty, poopy pull-up of Hannah's who held her bowels all day to wait for that extra cushion.

Oy vey.
  

4 comments:

just jamie said...

Good thing it's not really, you know, POOPY CAKE.

We did a potty chart. I swear by it.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Sent over here by Jamie. I have advice if you want it, but I don't want to give it unsolicited; let me know if you're interested. It's a little on the tough-love side, but it worked for my youngest (of 4); a stubborn and dedicated holder of poop.

Misty said...

I really REALLY love the poopy cake.... very creative... not to mention original. (wink)

I was sent here my Jamie.... she adores you, so I figured I would as well!

Misty said...

sent my Jamie.... I guess "my Jamie" fits, too.... but sent here none the less.