Sunday, September 7, 2008

BE it, don't just do it

So I told myself that I wasn't going to use this forum (too much) to even remotely pontificate (and/or rant, as I have been doing) on politics.

But lately I am finding that I can't help myself.

Why?

Because I CARE what happens to our country. And because I CARE how it affects my family and my kids, especially. And just because I lean left, that does not mean that I am not patriotic and I don't love America. Quite the contrary.

Tonight I read a very good, succinct blog post from Jamie Lee Curtis, the actress no less, on The Huffington Post. And she had echoed some things Obama said this weekend that I said a few days ago after having listened to Ms. Palin's RNC speech thinking to myself,
"Uh, oh...she was good (delivering from a teleprompter). SO GOOD that people are going to forget she's a friggin' puppet and be brainwashed by all of this KarlRovian garbage...like they were brainwashed in 2004 and 2000 - Lord help us."

Anyway, something in Jamie Lee's post struck me, and it was what she had quoted from Gandhi:

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

While this is not the first time I've seen this quote, it really resonated with me, in particular, related to this election.

With all of this talk about "change" from both sides (especially now that McCain decided to take on this as his campaign message), and with all of the GOP mockery of community organizers, this was the kick in the pants I needed. For me and the now and how I can make a difference come November 4th.

And as a registered Democrat and strong supporter of Barack Obama, I realized that I mustn't just sit here and let 2004 happen all over again. I needed to do my part outside of donating (which I have already done) or putting up lawn signs and bumper stickers in a state that will likely go blue anyway. And I can no longer be complacent and assume the last 8 years is enough to speak volumes and direct the American public to our candidate.

So this weekend, on a whim, I applied to help the Obama campaign and the Deputy Field Organizer Groups that they are mobilizing in California to spread the message to the audiences who most need to hear it. As such, the Obama campaign is recruiting a team of "community organizers" to attend Camp Obama with the goal of developing grassroots coalitions to gain victory in the battleground states. And while I can't travel to the battleground states with my current family and work responsibilities, I asked them if they could leverage me somehow remotely. I really don't know how, and highly doubt I will get "accepted" but I feel better knowing that I am trying to make a difference in this election.

Just BE it. My not-so-new mantra.

Not-so-new because when I stepped back to think about it, I've already started being some of the things I want to change in the world. But I still have more to be including making a difference (however small) with the choice of our new leader.

(ok, I'm done ranting for today.)


5 comments:

Polly said...

Its great to hear your opinions, from the other side of the world, I really believe that your election has so much influence on so many world wide decisions. I want a better world for my children and I think your next president will dictate much of that.

Anonymous said...

Amen and totally agree.
I guess it is time I start BEING what I want to change...or something like that!

Thanks for the reminder.

I am in So.Cal too. Happy blogging

CRigg said...

Yes, trying to stay motivated during the next 2 months in the race to November, especially with all of this mudslinging and media bashing. It's hard to stay abreast of any unbiased opinions. We'll see what happens!!!

enthalpymama said...

CRigg, Wonderful post! I lean right, but I feel that we have much in common. And, as much as you might characterize it as pontificating, I think your post reaches many of us.

We all do try to BE the change. Well, we try to be the best example for our kids, and what is more poignant than that?

Anonymous said...

I salute you for acting instead of merely giving it lip service. I'm also pleased to read that you take such a fair stance on politics, as things are getting so nasty out there.

Although I'm not American, I hope Obama makes it as well.

Here in the UK people just sleep-walk at election times and we end up with bafoons - but then, they're all nut-jobs at the moment and I'd find it difficult to choose one of them if I had to.

Nice to meet you too:-)