Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Thank goodness for Tivo

It seems that everyone's talking about politics today and I am making a concerted effort not to (only because I am getting really obsessed about it and talk-- or read -- about it incessantly when I'm not talking about the kids or work or my other pastimes.)

Sooooo...I thought that I would write about something completely innocuous and mundane like my excitement over the TeeVee fall line-up of premieres that I am looking forward to checking out, starting with...

1) The Amazing Race
My fave, fave, fave reality show of all time - even more than Survivor. I love seeing these random couples duke it out against each other and also be put in precarious situations where they need to work out Roadblocks or Detours or FastForwards, etc.  Not to mention, Phil Keoghan is probably the least annoying of all the reality show hosts...This show harkens me back to the old days when Dave and I used to jaunt to Aruba, Florence, Istanbul, Costa Rica, Sydney...satisfying our wanderlust.   Since we've had the twinsies, we've (or should I say I have) started at least 2 show applications but have never dared send it in.  Maybe next time I'll actually do it??!  We can bill ourselves as the "yuppie-couple-from-So-Cal-who-met-and-fell-in-love-because-of-their-mutual-wanderlust-and-now-have-young-kids-and-miss-it-so."  I really think we could get cast, and win,  if we really tried.

2) Survivor: Gabon
I have been a fan of Survivor since Season 2.  I remember catching the last epi of Season 1 when Richard Hatch won wondering what all the fuss was about it.  Well, now I know!  And 17 seasons later, here I am anxiously awaiting the latest - Survivor in Gabon, Africa.  I love all the strategery   (hehe) of the game and watching everyone outwit, outplay, outlast the other.  Can't wait to find another character I love to hate.

3) Grey's Anatomy
So goes another season of Meredith and Derek, Izzie and George, Christina, Bailey and the others.  I've been watching since Grey's was a pilot after the Superbowl a couple of years ago. And even with all of the ridiculousness that has transpired over the last couple of years, I am still watching it.  For no other reason except that it feels like such a great escape to me since these characters are nothing like my life today.

4) The Office
Dunder Mifflin rocks.  So does Schrute.  Need I say more?

5) Lipstick Jungle
I tuned in last year by accident.  I was up a few nights doing work and it happened to be on the TeeVee a few times.  Now I am  totally into it.  I love all 3 of their characters and most especially, I can relate to Brooke Shields's character as the full-time working mom exec with the supportive hubby.   I also love the backdrop of New York City.  It's such a fabulous place to watch these fabulous women live their fabulous lives.

6) 90210
Yes, I am one of those mid-30 somethings that back in the day watched Brenda and Brandon Walsh  fit in with the likes of Kelly Taylor, Dylan McKay, Donna Martin and Andrea Zuckerman at West Beverly High.  I remember watching this show (along with Melrose Place, of course) in college and having a whole social gathering with my sorority sisters planned entirely around the epi.  90210 is to my generation what the OC and Gossip Girl is to today's legion of youth. It's only been 2 epis and I am already sucked in.  And of course, I can't even remotely relate to this age group anymore, but it's still a nice guilty pleasure.

7) Desperate Housewives
Even though the storyline has gotten more and more out of hand the last few seasons, I can't help but tune in to the women of Wisteria Lane season in and season out.  Bree, Lynette, Gabrielle and Susan are all caricatures of every day women we know and love, and the great part of this is that we can see a little bit of each of them in us.

8) NFL
Go Chargers!

Wow, that was nice to talk about something else besides politics for a change.  

Thank goodness for Tivo.

2 comments:

Polly said...

Im waiting impatiently for Greys to start again also and Im with you on 90210 - watch the first two epis on Tuesday and Im totally hooked. The only thing not satisfying as 15 years ago is that over here Melrose place used to follow after and that was my night of nights!

just jamie said...

Sadly, the only show you listed that I have EVER seen is The Office. WHERE have I been? (Although, I must admit, I'm kind of psyched for 90210.)

Sometimes we just need some mindless drama that doesn't involve our own drama.