Monday, September 22, 2008

The Skills You Can Learn @ 3 years old!

This past weekend, my husband hooked up the kids' new computer in the playroom...complete with parental controls and favorite bookmarks of our carefully chosen online learning games, of course.

With my husband and I both working the in the tech industry and tapping on our computers in the evenings sometimes when we need to finish work at home, it's no surprise that they have been showing interest in computers for a while now.  And we decided it was time.

So as I watched them play their "fine motor skills" and "literacy-building and storytelling" games on the Sprout/PBS kids website, I sat there behind them proudly and was constantly bemused by the fact that our 3 year olds were clicking around on icons and learning how to work the mouse.   They can't read yet, but they knew exactly where to click once we gave them the short tutorial.   I knew this would come soon enough, but wow, at 3?!!

Part of the reason I think I was so amused was this: I don't think I knew how to work a computer and type until I was in high school (and in the late 80's/early 90's I  think they were still called "word processors"...how funny!)

And now, here is this new generation of our children for whom computers, the internet, etc. is a part of their everyday existence...


Unfortunately, this morning before preschool they woke me up to see if they could play on the computer again.

Uh-oh.

Thank goodness they haven't yet discovered games that you actually play for regular fun instead of learning fun.  Or worse yet, the Wii.


4 comments:

Polly said...

Im dreading the day Ollie starts! Gus loves the PS3 and both of us are constantly on the PC so Im guessing its inevitable.

KKJ said...

Yea! A and P love the computer too, but we aren't brave enough to let them have their own. Your children are so responsible!

The internet thing with kids is amazing! Ours love surfing you-tube for scooby doo videos. They even learned how to replay the opening (and closing) song over and over. Delightful! "see mommy, you click on the triangle.."
(Oh PS: our boys love the bowling game on the wii)

just jamie said...

Tatum whines to me all.the.time. "Mommy, WHEN is it MY turn to use your computer?"

Sheez. I have, like actual work to do sweetheart. :) (Like reading blogs.)

Starfall.com is a major fave. So cool that your kids have their OWN computer!

CRigg said...

Thanks for the comments, ladies.
I love that they're now "teaching" me to click on the triangles and x's and letters with stars! HA! Thanks Jamie also for tuning me into Starfall.com...they LOVE it! I do too...great online learning tool. It's so handy to have teacher-friends who can tell you this kind of stuff!
And KKJ, we are going to probably going to give in and get a Wii this holiday...we will try the bowling game!