Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Speaking of the (im)mortal...

...My kids are now somewhat obsessed with vampires.  And specifically, they are obsessed with him.

Yes, Edward.

Edward Cullen.

The Edward Cullen.

So, how did this happen?

Well, sometimes, instead of reading books to them at night, my husband and I make up stories. They saw me reading New Moon one night (which is the 2nd in the Twilight series of vampire novels) and asked me what it was about.  And I proceeded to tell them that the story is about vampires and werewolves.  And just like that...they thought I was the coolest mom for reading such a cool book about such cool mythical creatures.

Then they asked me to tell them a story about it, and so I did.  And thus, I began with the story of how Bella met Edward the vampire.

And now, just like the millions of tweens, teens and other adults out there who can't get enough of Bella and the Cullen family, they are hooked.  Especially on Edward.   They think he's just the best thing ever because he's a good vampire who doesn't eat people but has super-powers.

Wow, they learn fast about pop culture phenoms, don't they?

3 comments:

Polly said...

And so it begins!!

I am so resisting Twilight, I swear I will be the last person alive to read it - thats my aim anyway.

KKJ said...

Wow- your kids are so mature! They can actually comprehend a love story.

CRigg said...

polly - i resisted twilight for the longest time and when i finally started the first 20 pages i could NOT put it down. it's good, breezy, don't-have-to-think-just-want-to-be-entertained reading.

KKJ - the love story part is just the side story to their fascination with edward as the non-human, animal-only (vegetarian, as they call it in the book) eating vampire who fights with werewolves. they could care less about bella. i'm working on it. ;)