Wednesday, June 17, 2009

it's only the beginning

The other day I was lecturing Luke on some random thing that I can't even remember what it was. 

Well, I was shocked and surprised when he retaliated and expressed his anger saying something that I was totally not expecting to hear.

He called me an idiot.

Yes, an idiot.

Of course, my jaw dropped.

He obviously heard that from someone in preschool, and NOT in our house.  Because the house rule is that (especially for Dave and I) we NEVER say such words to each other (or in general) in the house...words like "stupid"..."dumb"..."idiot"...

But of course, here's Luke dropping "idiot" like it's the word "mommy" or "water".

Oy.

Needless to say, I lectured him (nicely, of course) about the word idiot and told him that it hurt my feelings to hear him say that to me.

And he knew that it was not a nice thing to say as soon as the word left his mouth and he saw my reaction. 

I later told Dave what he called me and he laughed. 

Indeed, we can't shelter them from these things.  And I know it will only get worse as they start school and get surrounded by kids whose parents utter these words in front of them and have habits that would make me faint. 

But, I need to just trust in our parenting.  And trust that I - we -  are raising them in a way that they will have good judgment to do and say what's right and good when confronted by not-so-pleasant things, words, whatevah...

Ayayayayayayay.


3 comments:

KKJ said...

Be happy that it has taken so long. I've caught both my boys saying to each other and me "what an idiot". Actually, I think they picked it up from my road rage! And I only drive them aroung PQ. However, I've tried to change my ways and we now say- that person is not using their brain. Way cuter to hear out of their mouths that "what an idiot".

Polly said...

Oh no, I dread the day.

I love your new Blog layout too - its lovely.

just jamie said...

It is shocking to hear such things come from our little ones. I'm with you... I *know* where certain words begin and "stupid" was not from my mouth. So hearing Chase say it just made me...shiver. Shiver for what is to come.

Now, if he were to say, "Holy Moly," or "Dang it" or "Crimony," I totally would take accountability. But "stupid" (or "idiot") are only precursors to worse to come. Sadly.

And I'll *still* be blaming the other kids when that time comes. :)