Thursday, July 17, 2008

Overheard at a Twin Mom's Night Out

I recently attended a Mom's Night Out for a non-profit twin mom's support group I've been involved with the last few years.  There were quite a few amusing conversations I either participated in or overheard:

Regarding being a twin mom, in general:

Five-months-along-pregnant-with-twins-mom: "I'm due in December" (she said as she proudly rubbed her tummy) "These guys are my IVF babies."

Me: "Oh, yes, there are plenty of us here. Although for me, it ran on both sides of the family, but of course, no one ever assumes that."

Other twin mom: "Yeah.  I'm so surprised how many people have asked me whether they are natural.    That's none of their business!  Nonetheless, why is it that people just assume you're on fertility pills if you have twins?!"

Yet another twin mom: "Uh, hello -- Hollywood?!   Angelina.  JLo.  Julia.  Marcia Cross.  John and Kate + 8."


Regarding schooling and moving them forward or holding them back for kindergarten:

Twin mom:  "I have a boy and a girl, and because of my boy, I'm definitely holding them back a year to start kindergarten.

Another twin mom:  "Oh yes, my boy is the reason I'm going to hold them back, too.  My daughter runs circles around him."

(By the way, no disrespect to boys or anything, but only moms of boy/girl twins would ever notice these things!)

Yet another twin mom: "Well, I know of someone who separated her twins into different class years.  And it was BAD.  The kid in the younger class always referred to his twin in the older class as 'my smart sister.' "

Twin mom:  "How sad.  I'm never separating them."


Regarding the very popular Redirecting Children's Behavior (RCB) class we took with Susie Walton:

Twin mom:  "No one understands how impactful this class was for us.  Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I parent my kids.  They think I'm too permissive."

Me: "Yeah, but the reality is that we are just more relaxed because we now have the tools to address all the issues we face our kids."

Twin mom:  "I feel like Susie is just one big gift, and we learned her secrets.  And we want everyone to know about it.  But now everyone thinks we're nuts."


Regarding getting out with us couples while the (grand) parents are in town:

Twin mom: "OK, my folks are in town for 2 weeks.  Let's plan an outing, all 6 of us."

Me: "Yeah, we need to get this in, otherwise we will NEVER get out again until the next time the grandparents are back.  They are too much to handle for one person right now (in reference to our 3 1/2 year old twins)."


Regarding working full time and parenting twins:

Stay-at-home Twin mom: "I just don't know how working moms can do it."

Full-time-work-outside-the-home twin mom: "It's quite simple.  I have twins.  Working full time makes me sane.  Adult interaction is good."


Regarding random stuff:

Me: "So when's the next botox party?"

Twin mom friend: "Oh, when my mom comes back in town!  I'll call you can we'll get together and take some shots."


Peace out.

1 comment:

just jamie said...

Sorry to have missed it. Sounds like a blast. I'm still nodding my head in agreement on the kindergarten thing. :)