Wednesday, January 21, 2009

CRigg is writing a post about Facebook statuses and her semi-addiction to them.

Facebook has become a semi-appendage that I can't seem to live without.  And in particular, I'm addicted to my friends' statuses.

You know, that thing at the top of your Facebook profile page where you can express whatever the hell you want about what it is you're doing, feeling, thinking, hating on, loving, whatevah... anything goes.

And ever since the Facebook peeps enabled the commenting feature on friends' statuses, I can't help but participate and comment on every little thing that moves me (or not), whether it's a friend in need of potty training advice, or someone bitching about a football score (or team), or even the seemingly mundane statuses that are not unique and occur for many of us throughout the day:

Suzy Q is at work.  
Me:  Me and you both!  Hang in there! :)

Johnny B is at home drinking wine.
Me: Have one for me!!! :)

Jane Doe has a cold.
Me: Feel better!!!!!  :\

Lizzie thinks Tina Fey is the bomb.
Me: LOVE HER!!  isn't she the greatest?!

You get the picture.   And somehow, I seem to over-exclamate, over-punctuate, over-capitalize and over-use emoticons, more than I ever do in a real-life, non-Facebook situation.  What is it about Facebook that drives this strange behavior in me?!   

And, when I don't hear from the regular statusers for a period of time (yes, that's you, M!), I begin to worry that something is wrong or that my friend needs some lovin.  So I reach out.

My husband laughs at me and calls me an addict.   He tells me I should be spending more of my Facebook time with the family instead of trolling peoples' statuses or friend lists.  And I know he's right.  I find myself logging in when I have a free moment just to see what my friends are up to through their Facebook status, and so that I can comment.  And I love to comment.  

But ultimately, what is it about Facebook statuses I find so intriguing??

The short answer: it's because I'm reconnected with old friends from all parts of my life and can now, through the magic and technology of Facebook, have a window into their lives...filling a vast data vacuum on so many of these folks that I have not been able to fill until now.  

And I just can't get enough.

7 comments:

Polly said...

You and me both. Im so with you on the comments thing also!

Fleur said...

It takes a great deal of self-control to NOT comment on all my friends status updates (except for the ones with political beliefs that are the opposite of mine. those i don't even want to touch).

ridiculouslyextraordinary said...

Why do I find your blogs so great!? man you couldn't have said it any better!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

LOL

I've gotten myself into a trap, and I don't know how to get out! You are only one of several people who inquire after my well-being if I update my status less frequently. I find myself updating just so no one will worry!

Anonymous said...

The Status Updates tab is definitely the most entertaining part of facebook. Over Christmas my brothers and I were talking about funny facebook status updates and we came up with an idea for a new facebook app. Some facebook status updates are so good you could put them on a custom t-shirt.

We launched Status King in BETA a couple weeks ago. Facebook users have already submitted over 500 hilarious facebook statuses.

Anyway, after reading your post, I thought you might get a kick out if Status King.

just jamie said...

...which reminds me...I haven't updated my status in about 12 hours. :)